WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Friday 27 October 2023

The garbage trucks wake me …


The garbage trucks wake me early.

Even my little cat is still asleep.

(She’s deafer than me.) I wake into 

the immediate knowledge of his death,

my old friend, my soul-brother – we 

could tell each other anything, every

thing, and also we didn’t need to –

unlike other deaths, when sleep gave

an escape from which I then had to 

realise all over again. 

                                    When he visited

that night, before I found out he’d died,

I was half asleep already, didn’t then

recognise it was him (well we hadn’t 

met in person for many years, though 

we texted and were always available 

to each other) only that it was a man, 

tallish, not one of my usual visitors, but 

someone I seemed to know very well … 

I fell asleep not knowing yet, but feeling 

safe in his regard, his calm affection. 
















This is one of a series of daily poems I'm doing this year as a 'Book of Days' and posting to Instagram and facebook – this one already slightly edited since. It's also being shared with Poets and Storytellers United for Friday Writings #100: El Dia de Muertos.

In Australia we don't have a Day of the Dead. (Many Aussie schoolchildren have now started celebrating Halloween, on the same date as the Americans do – which is the wrong season of the year here, the beginning of summer instead of winter; also they don't seem to really get what it means apart from the fun of dressing up and eating lots of free sweets.) 


This newly written poem, though, obviously has some relationship to the topic.





22 comments:

  1. This is so full of feeling - that deep connection means we always know somehow.. so sorry for your loss. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that when there is a deep connection sometimes an apparition appears upon death. May your friend's memory like his calm affection always be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methinks the traditional Old English 'All Hallows Eve', is more in tune with the ethos of Day of the Dead, and it's only America that brought the influence of sugar rush (!) to the table...
    But your words are full of the true essence of 'soulmates', to whom words will only ever be a poor reflection of the feelings involved. Thank you for sharing them with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the thoughtful comment. You may well be right about All Hallows Eve. Being Pagan, and with some Scottish ancestry, my own reference is to the old Celtic Samhain.

      Delete
  4. I believe sometimes we may be told of loved ones' passing away, in a more comforting way than a call from a mutual acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has happened that way for me a number of times. Usually, I know who, immediately, and then a little later the call comes .

      Delete
  5. I can only dream of lost ones. My step-father promised he would come back to say hello if he could, So far he hasn't. I wait though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreams can also be a way for them to contact us. If any are particularly vivid and/or realistic, you might take note.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry that showed up as anon - this is Debi. Thanks for that advice. I'll pay closer attention.

      Delete
    3. Hello Derbi, glad to know it's you. And here's hoping!

      Delete
  6. So sad to lose that special person... Breaks your heart....some of us know things in advance...I hate it and try to block it out as best I can but it never leaves you completely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually know of someone's death in advance (except in mundane terms if it's obviously likely as in old age + illness). I find these 'visitations' at t he time of death quite comforting, when I get confirmation of the death afterwards. It's nice that they would come to say goodbye, and also good to know that yes, the soul does survive. And the feeling that emanates from them is always both oeaceful and loving.

      Delete
  7. I appreciate the Australian view of the season. It is interesting that we can have this ethereal knowledge at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that on dark winter nights Halloween could seem really spooky. Here, the sun is still shining when the kiddies set out, with parents hovering in the background for safety, to do their trick-or-treating. (The trick part is not a real possibility and I doubt they even know what it means.) Waiting for dark would take it way past their bedtime.

      Delete
  8. Something similar happened to me when my little brother passed away. Not a visitation, but a dream. It wasn't calm. I woke up screaming and terrified for him. And when I called him to check up on him, he was already gone. Even though the actual experience wasn't easy, it was good to be able to say goodbye (in a way). As the years go by, I hope for more occasions like yours.

    The idea of celebrating Halloween out of season fills me with unease. If they don't know what the holiday is really about now, when the adaptation is so fresh, imagine what will happen in decades from now. The disconnection will be... scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dreams are more than the usual, taking us on the psychic level to other realms and times, and especially to other people with whom we have a deep connection. I know your connection to your brother was very close, so it doesn't surprise me that you would feel the moment of his death even in your sleep. Very often the dead visit us in dreams afterwards, too. If you have dreamed of him since, that may be his way of visiting.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yes to your remarks about the Australian Halloween thing. Quite disturbing to contemplate.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes our senses are deep enough to know what has passed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)