WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Tuesday 19 December 2023

The Buddhist friend ...

 














The Buddhist friend 

who brought me

this wooden statuette 

back from Cambodia 

(or was it Thailand?)

thirty-plus years ago, told me:

‘It’s conditional. The Buddha 

must be kept high, above 

all other objects or images.

You have to promise.’ I did.


The highest point

in my present home 

is atop the kitchen cupboards.

No matter how often 

I place the statue facing out

into the room, overlooking us all,

I always find it moved. (By itself. 

No-one here any more besides me 

to climb up and do that.) Buddha

turns always towards the light.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)