WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Tuesday 28 November 2023

For no reason I know ...


For no reason I know, my iPhone offers me 

Frank Sinatra singing nostalgic, romantic ballads. 

September Song … and I remember my stepfather 

singing that to Mum, rejoicing in their late life love. 

My mind wanders, next, to Andrew and me, and ours. 

Strangers in the Night … and I think of my own 

quick young fallings in love at first sight (sweet 

they were)…. But mostly I’m reminded of my first 

husband, Don, who loved the voice of the great 

Frankie. A brief, ill-matched marriage, but our 

early days were full of music and dance, theatre and 

parties, rides on the back of his cute motor scooter, 

or to balls in taxis, dining out, swapping books, playing 

with the kitten I ended up keeping … and always, 

as background, the smooth, easy tones of Sinatra.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)