WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Monday 11 September 2023

Suddenly freezing night ...

 

Suddenly freezing night.

I remember all my soft toys 

lined up on a bedroom shelf,

and choose Buster to cuddle.


***


Sad-eyed shaggy brown bear,

years ago he caught my gaze

from the stall opposite mine 

at Pottsville market. It was as if 


he was communicating, urgently. 

When no-one else bought him 

by the end of the day, it was clear 

he was meant to come home with me.


***


Clasped to me under the blankets,

yes, his rough ungainly bulk 

warms my blood for the whole

rest of the night … the restful night.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)