WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Thursday 22 June 2023

You think we don't have winter here ...


You think we don’t have winter here 

in the sub-tropics? Already at 4pm 

I turn on the lights and the heaters. 

Friends from the so-called Temperate 

Zone, where I used to live, send messages 

about the Arctic conditions there and I 

shudder. Meanwhile all those Northern

Hemisphere folks rejoice in their Summer

Solstice, also known as Litha. Here, we

celebrate Midwinter, Yule, lighting our 

fires, knowing the temperatures may get 

even colder yet before we’re through. This 

is as much winter as I want! Happy Solstice 

everybody! Many blessings to you! Brrr!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)