WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Tuesday 23 May 2023

More and more ...

More and more, these days, I wander in my memories, ranging over many years, events, places ... particular people ...

I wonder if I am doing a kind of life review, instinctively preparing for the death which must one day come. I feel fully alive, and healthy enough, but each day which staves off death also brings it one day closer. That is just the nature of things.

late autumn —

on my geranium

still one bloom




Written for the latest Haibun Monday at dVerse, where we were invited to write on the theme of memory.

























16 comments:

  1. That sole geranium works so well in the final haiku. Here's to many more blooms to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers can well bring back great memories as greenery and colours are great combinations.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary, I like your acceptance of the life-death cycle yet show here with the image that life can be vibrant until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the single geranium in the haiku, Rosemary, but there will be more. I agree about wandering in memories in our later lives; our minds have stored so many of them, they are bound to slip out and grab us more and more often, and those people we remember are often ghosts.
    Talking about geraniums, I recently visited a local open garden, where there was a greenhouse dedicated to geraniums, with no flowers as yet. According to the label, one of them has an amazing deep red, almost purple. I was delighted to come across some climbing geraniums. I’ll return later in a few months to see what the flowers look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fond of geraniums. I hope you share some photos of these when you see them.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful memories, Rosemary, really well written. 👍🏼🙂✌🏼🫶🏼

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if the pandemic caused that reassessment. I know I feel it, and many other people I know--"or maybe it's the time of man".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's being 83 – the age at which my mother died, and also the age at which my husband died.

      Delete
  7. The single geranium in your haiku is marvelous.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  8. The haiku is splendid to complement the prose.. I have similar thoughts even if there are still years to come, there are so much less than what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it actually applies to anyone, at whatever age – but we become more aware of it as we get older.

      Delete

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)