WHAT'S THIS?

Having been immersed in memoir writing for many months, I decided to write a small poem every day for a year to keep my poetic hand in. I've posted them to Instagram and facebook as written – where, to my amazement, people love them – but on this blog they are sometimes subject to later rewriting.
Comments are moderated. If they take time to appear, don't panic. Please add your name if Google forces you to comment as Anonymous.

Saturday 8 April 2023

Preparing an old book ...

Preparing an old book for republication,

a collection of poems written from a place of pain,

I confront again the sufferings of those writers, my friends.


I run away often into light-hearted movies on Netflix,

or romance novels that always have happy endings,

or wine, or chocolates, or cuddles with my cat. 


But then I return to the task. If they were strong enough

to live those things and write of them truthfully, 

I can continue to honour and share their words.






















Image: cover of an anthology of poems written from workshops conducted in Pentridge Prison, Melbourne, 1981-2. 


As the official publisher (also one of the contributors, as visiting/tutor poets were invited by the prisoner poets to submit our work too) I am issuing a new edition, to be launched simultaneously with my memoir about coordinating those workshops, Breaking Into Pentridge Prison. Because the original volume of Blood from Stone is over 40 years old and pre-digital, with uneven print quality, the preparation has involved retyping every word.


I'm sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United for my own prompt at Friday Writings #72: Writing About Writing. Writing about other people's writing is maybe not quite on topic, but still.... 




 

1 comment:

  1. Comments transferred from the blog where this was first posted:


    RajaniApril 14, 2023 at 2:44 PM

    Can not wait to read them both... !!!!!!!!!!!
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:19 AM

    It's really happening! Some time in the second half of this year.
    Reply

    Penelope NotesApril 14, 2023 at 11:31 PM

    Keeping those thoughts alive is a worthy endeavour. Life can take an unhappy turn in prisons and castles so I'd like to think we're composed of a series of chapters, all with as much import as the ending.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:18 AM

    That's a great way to look at it!
    Reply

    RommyApril 15, 2023 at 12:42 AM

    A labor often comes with birthing pains. I am also excited to read the pieces and your memoirs.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:20 AM

    Good point, Rommy! And believe me, I am very excited to be bringing them into being.
    Reply

    colleenApril 15, 2023 at 1:33 AM

    It's good and important work.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:21 AM

    Thanks, Colleen. I do believe so.
    Reply

    vanderloostApril 15, 2023 at 2:04 AM

    Would like to read it
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:22 AM

    Don't worry, I'll be letting everyone know when it's actually published.
    Reply

    HelenApril 15, 2023 at 2:29 AM

    Thank you for sharing Rosemary! Your Poem as Prelude is quite lovely ... (I confess to the editing urge whenever I republish something I have written. LOL.) Cheers.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 8:32 AM

    Oh, you just sparked a whole lot of thoughts about whether to really use this poem as a prelude to the new edition ... but probably not. The contents stand well as they are, and the mood of this one is too far removed from the real nitty-gritty of them.
    Reply

    rallentandaApril 15, 2023 at 1:31 PM

    Congratulations on your book. I love the cover. You know ...there is a place for wine, chocolate ,happy endings and cuddle pussy cat people...I am glad you are one of them...it makes me feel less alone.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 15, 2023 at 3:27 PM

    Oh, I think there are quite a few of us around!
    Reply

    dsnake1April 16, 2023 at 2:43 AM

    Congratulations on the book!
    It must be a labour of love. And some of the subject matter may be painful. But that's what a poet must do.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 16, 2023 at 6:18 AM

    Thank you! And you are right on every point.
    Reply

    Priscilla KingApril 17, 2023 at 12:26 AM

    It should be an interesting book...
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 17, 2023 at 7:56 AM

    It is! And a moving one.
    Reply

    Magaly GuerreroApril 18, 2023 at 5:52 AM

    The hard tales must be told. And read. So, I'm so glad you collect them and share them with the rest of the world.
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 18, 2023 at 9:08 AM

    Yes, I think they must.
    Reply

    AnonymousApril 24, 2023 at 9:30 AM

    The more you write from a place of pain, the easier it is to get through it. I can’t wait to read these books! (Sara McNulty)
    Reply
    Replies

    Rosemary Nissen-WadeApril 25, 2023 at 12:22 AM

    Yes, so I am finding.

    The plan is to have them ready for publication later this year, maybe October.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Please don't panic if they don't appear here immediately. (I live DownUnder, so if you're UpOver, time difference may cause delay.)